Open to members and non-members, click here for more info.
You can also follow us on Twitter
Ethical Hacking (All the way in)
Wed 10th Dec, 7:00 for 7:30pm
RNLI Lifeboat College, Waterfront Suite (Map)
Over the past twenty years, Pete Wood and his team have conducted numerous penetration tests for some of the largest organisations in the world.
No matter how much organisations spend on security products, they are still vulnerable to targeted attacks. Why does this happen? It's because most organisations don't know how to look for real-world vulnerabilities. It's time we learned how to build our defences using our imagination as well as technology; to examine and test our systems, buildings and people as though we were a criminal, not the developer or the architect. Criminals use technical, physical and human attacks to achieve their goals - unless we understand these attacks we will continue to be the victim. This presentation will show you how Pete and his team conduct real attacks that invariably succeed and offer ideas for defending against them effectively. Be prepared to laugh, cry and perhaps learn something!
About the speaker - Peter Wood, First Base Technologies LLP
Peter is a world-renowned ethical hacker and security evangelist, speaking at conferences and seminars on ethical hacking and social engineering. He has appeared in documentaries for BBC television, provided commentary on security issues for TV and radio and written many articles on a variety of security topics.
Peter has worked in the electronics and computer industries for over forty years. He founded First Base Technologies in 1989, providing penetration testing and information security consultancy to commercial and government clients. Peter has hands-on technical involvement in the firm, working in penetration testing, social engineering and security awareness training.
- Fellow of the BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT
- Chartered IT Professional
- Senior Member of ISSA
- 15 Year+ Member of ISACA
- Member of the ISACA Security Advisory Group
- Member of the BCS Register of Security Specialists
- Member of the Institute of Information Security Professionals
- Vice Chair of the BCS Information Risk Management and Audit Group
- UK Programme Chair for the Corporate Executive Programme
- Member of ACM, IEEE, First Forensic Forum (F3), Institute of Directors (IoD)
- Member of Mensa
Recent Conference Topics
- What's Beneath the Covers? The Real Story of Security in the Private Sector
- 2020 Vision: Enabling and Securing the Enterprise of the Future
- Building Trust in the Cloud: An Ethical Hacker's View
- Advanced Threat Protection and Big Data
- People vs. technology: Why criminals continue to succeed
- Think like a Hacker
- Social Engineering and Red Teaming
- Out of the Blue: Responding to New Zero-Day Threats
- Security In A Virtualised Environment: An Ethical Hacker's View
- Wired and Wireless Networks: What the Attackers Know and You May Not!
- Hacktivism: What, Why, and How to Protect Against It
- Emerging Threats and Attack Surfaces
- Security Intelligence: Advanced Persistent Threats
Like all our events this event is free.
- Advancing IT science and practice
- Bringing out the excitement of IT
- Introducing IT to all
- Private and public sector
- Career professionals
- IT/Computing Students
- Industry and commerce
- Service industry
- Health provision
- Law enforcement
- …Everything and everyone